The Khronos Group has announced the immediate availability of the OpenGL 4.1 specification at the SIGGRAPH 2010 conference this week. The conference takes place in Los Angeles.
OpenGL 4.1 brings the latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3D graphics API (application programming interface). OpenGL 4.1 is the sixth update to the OpenGL specification in two years. This version continues to maintain full backwards compatibility to enable developers to begin using new features whenever they choose, while portably accessing state-of-the-art GPU functionality across diverse operating systems and platforms.
New core functionality in OpenGL 4.1 includes:
- Full compatibility with OpenGL ES 2.0 APIs
- The ability to query and load a binary for shader program objects to save recompilation time
- The capability to bind programs individually to programmable stages for programming flexibility
- 64-bit floating point component vertex shader inputs for higher geometric precision
- Multiple viewports for a rendering surface for increased rendering flexibility
- New ARB extensions like: OpenGL sync objects to OpenCL event objects
- New ARB extension like: ability to set stencil values in a fragment shader
- Improved robustness when running WebGL applications
The Khronos Group has also released a set of ARB extensions to enable as much OpenGL 4.1 core functionality as possible on previous generation GPUs.
“Khronos is methodologically building their vision for pervasive developer access to cross-platform graphics, media and compute acceleration. The continued rapid-fire OpenGL evolution feeds high-end graphics innovation into that strategy,” stated Dr. Jon Peddie founder and principle of Jon Peddie Research. “Just as significant as OpenGL 4.1’s new 3D functionality are the ever closer links with OpenCL and OpenGL ES 2.0–another significant step in strengthening the Khronos API ecosystem.”
SIGGRAPH attendees can learn about OpenGL 4.1 at SIGGRAPH on Wednesday, July 28, 5:15 pm – 7:15 pm, Wilshire Grand – Los Angeles Room. To learn more click here.
The Khronos Group will be at booth #1201.
Comments for this story are closed