Architosh App Guides
Architosh has published many application (app) guides over the years. In fact, for those readers who have been with us since the site’s founding in 1999, Architosh began as essentially a comprehensive listing of CAD and 3D tools for the Mac OS platform.
Below we have two sets of comprehensive App Guides. One each for each Apple operating platform. One for iOS and one for macOS.
Index to Guides
- macOS CAD/CAM/AEC App Guides — these new guides are mostly exclusive to architosh INSIDER subscription membership. We have Daily, and Weekly access passes for the convenience of software research. Our Daily and Weekly rates are priced around the value we save readers in time Googling to get the answers they seek. Save yourself the time. We have over 140 CAD/CAM/AEC macOS apps, and we are just getting started.
- iOS CAD/3D/AEC App Guides — our Ultimate iPad Guide: Apps for Architects contains over 175 apps for the architectural and AEC professional who wants to utilize the iPad in particular. Many apps work just as well on the iPhone. These guides are older (scheduled to be updated soon) but still invaluable for software research. These apps guides are all open to non-subscribers.
Ultimate List of CAD Applications for the Apple Mac Platform — INSIDER Subscribers Exclusive
This is our complete (WIP) listing of all Mac CAD/CAM apps, simply organized in alphabetical order. This is our master list truncated lists are organized below for faster access to specific apps for different industries or CAD platforms.
The Mac platform has always been popular in architecture circles in particular but increasingly within the overall AEC industry. This list of AEC CAD apps is just one component of what we will eventually have for AEC app list coverage.
The MCAD market has traditionally ignored Apple, but things started changing in the late aughts. By 2010 – 2012 major new players like Siemens’ NX (Unigraphics) came to the platform. The strength of the MCAD platform for the macOS platform has grown a lot since, and there are now over 25 native macOS CAD apps meant to tackle MCAD industries.
Multi-disciplinary apps mean CAD apps of a generalist nature or apps broad enough to cover in detail two or more major industry sectors. Nearly all the macOS CAD apps here can address both MCAD sectors and AEC sectors but some less than others.
ARCHICAD is the original BIM application and arguably the market leader for BIM innovation for the global architectural community. The veteran BIM application has more than 50 third-party Add-On applications that powerfully extend what ARCHICAD can do.
Vectorworks is a globally leading BIM/CAD platform and the number one Mac CAD application with over half-million users worldwide. Over 30 plugin and add-on applications powerfully extend Vectorworks workflows.
The best Mac CAD applications offer more than just a great CAD solution. On the macOS platform, they need to reach for their “mac-ness” and translate Apple’s ethos and user-interface design standards into a coherent CAD experience.
Ultimate iPad Guide: Apps for Architects 2.0 (Wave 1 Update)
Originally published in 2013 and updated once since that time, Architosh’s Ultimate iPad Guide: Apps for Architects 2.0 is currently under a major wave 2 update and we can’t wait to show it in early 2018. In the meantime, explore the current version below.
To visit the Index Level of the app guide, go here. Or select a specific section in the links below.
Schematic and Development Design Phases: Applicable Lists
- Conceptual Drawing Apps for Architects (New 2.0) — (updated: 14 Sep 2014)
- Modeling & Rendering Apps for Architects (New 2.0) — (updated: 23 Jun 2014)
- Note Taking & Idea Apps for Architects — (New 2.0) — (updated: 20 Sep 2014)
- Project Management Apps for Architects — (New 2.0) (updated: 28 Sep 2014)
Construction Documents Phase: Applicable Lists
- Mobile CAD Authoring for Architects — (New 2.0) — (updated: 28 Sep 2014)
- Site Survey, Analysis & Visualization for Architects — (26 Mar published)
- BIM Apps for Architects — (21 Mar published)
- Sustainable Design Apps for Architects — (28 Mar published)
Bidding & Negotiation Phase: Applicable Lists
- Project Management Apps for Architects — (New 2.0) — (updated: 28 Sep 2014)
- Annotation Apps for Architects — (24 Mar published)
Construction Administration Phase: Applicable Lists
- BIM Apps for Architects — (21 Mar published)
- Mobile CAD Viewers & Collaboration Apps for Architects — (21 Mar published)
- Site Survey, Analysis & Visualization for Architects (28 Mar published)
Other High-Value Apps of Use for Architects: Applicable Lists
- Utilities and Tools Apps for Architects (31 Mar published)
- Apps for the Control of Building Systems — (2 Apr published)
- Client Side Value-Add Apps — (6 Apr published)
- Apps that Architects Enjoy — (2 Apr published)
CAD and BIM Formats on iOS for iPad
One of the most useful things architects may want to know is what CAD and BIM formats are supported on what iPad apps for BIM and CAD viewing. We at Architosh have been working hard to figure this all out. See the article below
- BIM/CAD Formats Per-App: A Guide — (10 Apr published)
- 12 Must-Have Apps for Architects — (20 Apr published)