‘Out on the Net': Curated Technology and Design News by Architosh
Every week we highlight the stories—here below—that we think our readers will find interesting and extend our brand new News page further. Some stories are “on focus” with Architosh, and some stories are just interesting technology and design news. We hope you enjoy the curated listings.
This week Taylor Swift won a victory over Apple Music, solving the issue of lack of payment to the industry for the free 3 month trial for the upcoming Apple Music. And in this article we get to see just how tremendously large the “connected auto” industry is. That’s why Apple and Google want at the automobile industry.
The big news last week was Apple’s new ritzy renovation the former United States Trust and Mortgage Company bank building, a beautifully 1920’s Beaux Arts building with a super order of Corinthian stone pilasters on its all stone facade. You can see great picture(s) here at Apple’s official new store page for it and here. An Upper Eastside location is bound to cause a ruffle with high net-worth individuals who like things the way they always all. Readers may enjoying watching this new CNN Money news video on it. (see below).
In other but slightly older facilities news, Apple is reported to have parted ways with general contractors DRP and Skanska, responsible for the new Apple Campus 2 (“Spaceship”) project. There are many reports on this (listed below too). Skanska is a Swedish company with worldwide operations (not Swiss as it has erroneously been reported in the media). Getting fired from Apple isn’t the only public failure the Swedish company has faced. Earlier in the year Skanska USA was charged with racial harassment and ordered to pay nearly $100.000.USD in a lawsuit.
- Why tech companies like Apple and Google want to disrupt the Auto industry (@BusinessInsider – 22 Jun)
- Apple bows to Taylor Swift on paying for all music streaming (@Reuters – 22 Jun)
- Angela Ahrendts Presides as Apple Opens Store on NY’s Upper East Side (@Recode – 13 Jun)
- The 10 most important announcements from Apple WWDC 2015 (@TheVerge – 8 Jun)
- Apple fires Campus 2 contractors as ‘spaceship’ faces delays, spiraling costs (@AppleInsider – 10 Jun)
- Following Apple partnership, IBM now offering employees Macs for first time (@9to5 Mac – 29 May)
- Apple snaps up augmented reality firm Metaio (@ZDNet – 29 May)
- Who wins and who loses if Apple disrupts TV (@Fortune – 12 May)
- Apple to protect 1 million acres of tress to ensure sustainable fiber (@Yahoo – 12 May)
- Elon Musk wants Apple to get into the car business (@CNN Money – 7 May)
- With Apple at Its Side, IBM Grasps for a Shiny New Future (@Wired – 1 May)
- How Big Data is Transforming Architecture (@Architect – 30 Apr)
- Apple Mac Sales Soar as Consumers Have ‘Personal Relationships’ With Brand (@TheStreet – 30 Apr)
- Apple 2Q15 Earnings Preview: Another Strong Quarter Driven by iPhone in China (@Above Avalon – 22 Apr)
- Angela Ahrendt explains why you can’t buy an Apple Watch (@Fortune – 22 Apr)