The world’s leading industrial-strength VR (virtual reality) and XR headset maker, Varjo, has released their next-generation headsets bringing cutting-edge immersive technology to every workplace. Their unique human-eye resolution XR/VR professional-grade headsets advance Varjo’s ‘resolution revolution’ with the industry’s highest resolution in a 115-degree field of view (115 FOV).
XR-3 and VR-3 Details
Varjo’s VR-3 is the world’s most advanced virtual reality headset, featuring patented full-frame Bionic Display™ technology, ideal for industrial use-cases demanding unsurpassed visual fidelity and accuracy in industries like training and simulation, design, engineering, and medical and research.
Varjo’s XR-3 mixed-reality device with pass-through video seamlessly blends virtual objects with a view of the real world, including new depth awareness technology through combined LiDAR and RGB video.
“Our team has been working non-stop throughout 2020 to further push the envelope of what is possible in XR and VR. The new XR-3 and VR-3 are the most advanced, zero-compromise devices on the market and suitable for any professional workflow,” said Urho Konttori, co-founder and Chief Innovation Officer of Varjo. “We are especially excited by the introduction of depth awareness in the XR-3 through combined LiDAR and RGB video, enabling the most realistic mixed reality experiences ever seen. With our highest-performance XR, Varjo is setting the new standard for professional immersive computing and paving the way for a collaborative, cloud-enabled mixed reality workplace.”
Specific Details of the headsets include:
- Industry’s highest resolution in a 115° field of view. This is possible through Varjo’s full frame Bionic Display™ with double the human-eye resolution area (at over 70 pixels per degree) compared to previous generations. The headsets now also support ultra-high resolution across the full-frame, as well as color accuracy that mirrors the real world.
- Twice the performance for enhanced levels of realism and visual clarity. With a refresh rate of 90 Hz, the XR-3 and VR-3 also have the world’s fastest and most accurate eye tracking integrated in XR/VR headsets at up to 200 Hz, giving users optimized visual fidelity through foveated rendering. Both devices also feature integrated Ultraleap™ hand tracking for natural interactions.
- Improved comfort and usability with 3-point precision fit headband, 40% lighter weight, active cooling, and ultra-wide optical design removing eye strain and simulator sickness
- Complete software compatibility with Unity™, Unreal Engine™, OpenXR 1.0 (in early 2021) and hundreds of industrial 3D engines and applications, including Autodesk VRED™, Lockheed Martin Prepar3d™, VBS BlueIG™ and FlightSafety Vital™
And features specific to the XR-3 include:
- The industry’s first depth awareness with LiDAR and stereo RGB video pass-through to deliver seamless merging of real and virtual for perfect occlusions and full 3D world reconstruction
- Inside-out tracking enables users to determine the precise position of the XR-3 within the environment. This vastly improves tracking accuracy and removes the need for SteamVR™ base stations
With stunning new technologies in the latest Varjo headsets, the XR-3 and VR-3 unlock new professional applications and enhance others. For aerospace industries, the visual accuracy and realism, and hand-tracking provide pilots and flight crews with an unmatched level of realism that replicates the exact feeling and conditions needed for rigorous training and simulation.
Designers and creatives can experience perfect 3D visualizations—meaning textures, reflections, colors, text, curvature, and angles in shapes can be seen in stunning clarity with the widest color gamut in the industry.
“High-fidelity is critical for effective mixed reality training for pilots, says Chris Metel, Prepar3D Engineering Program Manager, Lockheed Martin. “Support With the Varjo XR-3, the realism is further increased in Prepar3D which removes negative training when recreating conditions of the most mission-critical scenarios. Prepar3D v5.1 supports the Varjo XR-3 out of the box, giving all types of pilots an affordable and agile option for training.”
MORE: Lenovo Now Reseller of Varjo VR/MR Headsets
“When it comes to making the right decisions, details matter,” says Lukas Fäth, Senior Product Manager at Autodesk. “Varjo’s VR-3 and XR-3 headsets used together with Autodesk VRED are revolutionizing how design and creative work is being done by unlocking unlimited creative potential for virtual prototyping. Users are immersed in the most natural mixed and virtual reality environments, and new designs can be accurately visualized across the full-frame in a photorealistic 3D setting.”
New Varjo Subscription
With the launch of VR-3 and XR-3, Varjo also modernizes its software offering by introducing Varjo Subscriptions to replace the previous software and support services. Professional customers can now more easily and flexibly manage and acquire Varjo software from a dedicated portal.
The Varjo XR-3 is available for enterprise purchase for USD/EUR 5,495 together with Varjo Subscription, which starts at USD/EUR 1,495 for a required one-year base subscription.
The Varjo VR-3 can be purchased for USD/EUR 3,195 along with a one-year subscription starting at USD/EUR 795. With a new price point of the headsets, Varjo is accelerating organizations’ ability to bring immersive technology into the workplace.
Both the XR-3 and VR-3 headsets are available for order immediately on Varjo’s website or through one of the more than 35 authorized resellers in the company’s global reseller network, while shipments start in early 2021.
Comments for this story are closed