Architosh has written quite a bit about Finland’s Varjo™ Technologies, the leader in industrial-grade VR/XR headsets. Back in November, two editors of Architosh in attendance at Autodesk University got a chance to wear the VR-1 in person. The device is impressive—I put it on and was thoroughly blown away with the insane resolution capabilities.
XR-1 Developer Edition
The XR-1 has been shipping to companies interested in working with the Developer Edition device. The XR-1 is a photorealistic mixed-reality device with human-eye resolution—an industry-first—combined with industrial-grade human eye-tracking that makes virtual content indistinguishable from the real world. At AU we didn’t try the XR-1 device one, but the VR-1, which forms the base kit for the XR-1 adaptor kit that transforms one’s VR-1 into an XR-1. (read here for more on that.)
With the XR-1 one, users can move seamlessly from VR to mixed-reality and back again while collaborating with others.
“Many companies understand the benefits of implementing virtual and mixed-reality into their workflows but haven’t had access to technology sophisticated enough to create photorealistic, 3D content and simulations,” said Urho Konttori, Chief Product Officer and co-founder of Varjo. “We are excited to bring XR-1 Developer Edition to market as the industry’s first device that can flawlessly blend the virtual with the real world like never before—pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in training, design, and research.”
Varjo’s XR-1 Developer Edition is the only device capable of creating an immersive experience so accurate that users cannot truly tell the difference between the real and virtual worlds. Such capabilities are expanding applications, ranging from realistic workforce training to testing tomorrow’s vehicles and buildings.
The XR-1 Developer Edition features include:
- Photorealistic video pass-through — enables users to see digital objects in true-to-life color, lighting, and shadows in a full field of view (87 degrees).
- VR and XR Support — users can switch between virtual reality (VR) and mixed reality (XR) modes with the same device.
- 20/20 Eye Tracker Technology — industrial-grade and unmatched eye-tracking technology delivers sub-degree accuracy of users’ eye movement in mixed reality scenarios for valuable insight into research, training and simulation and product design, including AEC industry design.
- Ultra-Low Latency — lets users experience a real-world environment mixed with virtual elements without any perceivable lag.
- Human-Eye Resolution (Bionic Display™) — over 60 PPD/3,000 PPI) brings high visual fidelity to even the most demanding industrial scenarios where extreme precision and photorealistic accuracy is required.
The XR-1 Developer Edition headset is available today and has been available since December 2019. The Finnish company was showing the XR-1 in action at I/ITSEC 2019 in December, demonstrating the T-45 Virtual Reality Part Task Trainer and a mixed reality T-6 flight simulator that enables trainees to interact with a high-resolution physical cockpit while immersed in a synthetic environment.
The XR-1 was also showcased in other I/ITSEC booths inside companies like Bohemia Interactive Simulations, Vertex Solutions, Ryan Aerospace, Presagis, Flight Safety International, and Aeschelon.
XR-1 DE costs $9,995.USD/EUR with Varjo’s Software and Support Service at $1,995.USD/EUR. To learn more visit them online here.