Autodesk has released a major new version of their popular 3D software package—Autodesk 3ds Max 2020. The latest update to Autodesk’s 3D modeling, animation, and rendering software packs performance improvements, faster playback speeds, and revamped UX features that customers have been asking for.
New in Autodesk 3ds Max 2020
“Whether creating a character for a feature film or designing a building, we want 3ds Max users to have all of the tools they need in their back pockets to achieve their artistic visions without ever compromising on creativity,” shared Nicolas Fonta, 3ds Max Sr. Product Line Manager, Autodesk, Media and Entertainment. “3ds Max 2020 continues to focus on quality and stability like its predecessor while also introducing several improvements that speed up the content creation process and free artists to focus on what matters most.”
Key new or improved features include:
- Performance enhancements support more accurate playback in the Viewport Framerate, faster playback speeds with Validity Intervals, accelerated SetNormals MaxScript function, and more.
- New Create Animation Preview features to enhance the user experience and enable faster local drive creation, AVI codec selection, and unlimited capture resolution, among other capabilities.
- Chamfer Modifier updates, including a Fixed Weight Chamfer, presets, inset feature, endpoint bias, and added depth, facilitate efficient, predictive modeling.
- OSL Shader improvements like an enhanced viewport display of OSL maps, automatic conversion of OSL shaders to viewport shaders, Quicksilver Hardware Renderer support for OSL Maps, and new and extended OSL maps introduce greater rendering flexibility and customization.
- Enhanced Revit import functionality accelerates data imports and simplifies scene management and organization, delivering options to combine files by material more selectively, the ability to import older Revit files into 2020 without upgrading, more accurate conversion of imported IES lights, and other features.
- 3ds Max to Arnold (MaxToA) integration updates streamline workflows, offering the ability to export Export Points as Arnold point primitives, faster PFlow instance rendering, and distribution of the Python API to edit, write, and render .ass files without relying on kick only.
There is also support for more than 270 new plugins from third-party developers within the first week of launch.
Availability and Pricing
3ds Max 2020 is available today as a standalone subscription or with a collection of end-to-end creative tools within the Autodesk Media & Entertainment Collection.
For more information and pricing, visit: https://www.autodesk.