This month Bulgaria-based Chaos Group, the makers of the award-winning rendering software V-Ray, took the wraps off their first major service pack for the latest V-Ray 3.0 for Autodesk 3ds Max software. SPI (Service Pack 1) feels like the next version of V-Ray however, says its company representatives, with tons of new features.
SPI Update: What it Adds
This latest update adds GPU features. V-Ray RT GPU now supports rendering hair and subsurface scattering, making it perfect for advanced character work. Improved refresh speeds enable greater interactivity for look development and faster iterations. Light Cache support now makes it possible to render architectural interiors using the GPU.
V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Service Pack 1 adds support for Microfacet GTR / GGX BRDF, ideal for hard surfaces such as metal. In addition, many shaders have been refined for faster rendering and added functionality.
There are now Clip opacity and Stochastic opacity material options for faster rendering of opacity-mapped trees and vegetation, improved translucency of two-sided materials, and optimized volume rendering with Light Cache support.
- Updated to Embree 2.3; Embree can now accelerate VRayProxy objects, instances and Ornatrix/HairFarm hair
- New VRayInstancer geometric plugin for instancing objects using ParticleFlow systems
- Improved cutaway and section rendering with VRayClipper
- Automatic instancing of identical proxy objects
- Added support for subdivision objects in Alembic files through OpenSubdiv
- Added support for point cloud rendering in 3ds Max 2015
- New vrmesh/Alembic viewer for proxy objects
- New disc-shaped area light
- Faster sampling of rectangular area lights
- Ability to control diffuse and specular lighting contributions separately
Render Elements and Compositing
- Support for OpenEXR 2.2 with new DWA compression options
- Render out light contributions into separate components (raw, diffuse, specular, etc.)
- New controls for object visibility in VRayVelocity render elements
V-Ray Frame Buffer
- New dockable history and color correction tools in V-Ray Frame Buffer
- New Reinhard highlight burn color correction
- Save multi-channel OpenEXR and .vrimg files directly from VFB
- Ability to load background image into VFB
- New option for loading files into VFB for post processing
- Improved anaglyph stereoscopic preview
V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Service Pack 1 is a free update for all V-Ray 3.0 customers. Login to chaosgroup.com to download.
About Chaos Group
Chaos Group creates physically-based rendering and simulation software for artists and designers. Founded in 1997, Chaos Group has devoted the last 16 years to helping artists advance the speed and quality of one of their most important tools. Today, Chaos Group’s photorealistic rendering software, V-Ray®, has become the rendering engine of choice for many high-profile companies and innovators in the design and visual effects industries.