Brotens software has introduced Illuminando, a brand new OpenGL native Mac OS X based CAD software application for performing lighting calculations using 3D interactive tools. The company is claiming it is the most advanced lighting calculation application in the world. And it was built just for Mac OS X!
Illuminando is a fully native Cocoa-based OS X only application that features a CAD interface and can generate parametric objects (vaults, quadrics, domes, cubes, spheres, cones, et cetera) in order to simplify the design procedures. Illuminando can also import CAD data from Autodesk DXF 3D files as an interoperability data workflow.
With Illuminando the user utilizes various tools to create a lighting scene to perform the necessary calculations. A working window projects objects within a three dimensional space and displays the axial reference system and a plane of virtual modeling. The program presents a rational and intuitive user interface (UI) consisting of menu commands and graphical tools, resulting in simple learning curve. Moreover, the Undo and Redo command allow the possibility of control and security in the working developing.
- Advanced Apple native Cocoa OS X application utilizing OpenGL
- Working 3D viewport with axial reference system and virtual modeling views
- Parametric spatial objects (vaults, domes, quadrics, cubes, etc)
- Internal Database – geographic territorial data on main Italian cities, electrical wire catalogues linked with multi-currency files, special pieces catalogue, etc
- DXF 3D File Import and Export – To bring in model and spatial 3D data/scenes/objects and to send data out
- Metric and Imperial Units Support
- Advanced OpenGL rendering for lighting scenes
- Lighting Data Results Plots to Model Elements
- Post Calculation Complete RTF Reporting
- Fully Sandboxed and Optimized OS X 10.9 Mavericks Mac Application
- Native 64-bit application
- Photometries can be imported via IES-NA, EULUMDAT or DXF
Illuminado features powerful layer and view management CAD capabilities, intelligent pasting options such as the application allows the copy of attributes of an object and pastes only those that are possible to transfer to an object with different characteristics.
The light sources, calculated as volumetric sources, are managed entirely by the application, which allows you to import, display, edit and format IESNA LM-63 (ASCII text files normally used by manufactures of lighting fixtures-Americans), EULUMDAT (formed by European standards) and even drawings DXF (the application converts drawings photometry) data files.
The information generated after the calculation is available in both visual (rendered) and numerical formats. Final real view is rendered in real colors or in color-scale. The individual surfaces of the object subjected to calculation are editable and can be projected on a plane and presented with the actual colors on both faces.
To full functioning demo is available here. http://www.brotens.com/osx/illuminando/
It’s not every day a cutting edge new application in a market vertical comes out uniquely for Mac OS X only. The developers actually have four OS X lighting-centered applications and this is the latest comprehensive calculation and visualization application for 3D lighting design. There is some impressive tech here, wrapped in a nice and clean UI. We’ll be learning more about these folks soon!