BISim (Bohemia Interactive Simulations), announced the release of VBS4 version 22.1, on 02 March 2022 . VBS4 is one of the industry’s most powerful and versatile desktop training and simulation platforms. It is used by military trainers for many different training situations.
VBS4 is a comprehensive software application for combined land, sea, and air collective training, mission rehearsal and experimentation. VBS4 22.1 includes improvements in performance and user experience, as well as some interesting new features, including:
- Snow Layer Improvements.
- Support for NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling).
- Improved thermal imaging.
- New Close Air Support (CAS) Module. New VBS Dashboard.
Snow layer improvements
VBS4 now has improved snow representation for anywhere in the world. This allows independent control of snow cover on terrain and trees. The new functionality also allows users to control to what extent roads in the environment are plowed.
VBS4 now includes support for NVIDIA DLSS. This is an AI rendering technology provided by GeForce RTX graphics cards. This technology can significantly improve performance, especially on very high-resolution displays.
Improved thermal imaging
VBS 22.1 significantly improves the accuracy and realism of thermal imaging simulations. This includes the simulation of heat transfer from troops in prone positions, and running vehicles, onto the ground and surrounding buildings. The simulation of heat generated from explosive munitions is now also simulated in craters.
New VBS Close Air Support training
With the new VBS CAS and its easy-to-use VBS Plan interface, many users will achieve a wide range of Close Air Support training needs out-of-the-box, whilst benefiting from VBS4’s increased performance. Users can plan and operate CAS missions similarly to how they do this in VBS4’s existing CFF module.
BISim’s VBS CAS Project Manager, Richard Brake tells us:
“With the new VBS CAS and the VBS4’s built-in VBS CFF, VBS4 has an organic Joint Fires Capability. This not only enables the trainees to create a more complex scenario but enhances their ability to use those resources they normally don’t have access to. As an Instructor/Operator, I appreciate the ease of use of the system as a whole, but the greatest advantage is the ability to run multiple Instructor/Operators to scale up in echelons and have separate Fire Cells and Air Cells to coordinate with.”
VBS CAS is used by military trainers for many training purposes. They can set up simulations of complex virtual battles, coordinate with thousands of allies and fight against instructor-controlled adversaries. VBS CAS is available as part of the BISim latest desktop training software bundle. This includes:
- Radio Pro. This adds support for unlimited radio channels and types.
- Configurable radio network presets, enabling users to customize channel names, colours, and icons.
- Radio degradation that can also be influenced by weather, distance and terrain obstruction.
- Overlay sharing within VBS Plan. Overlay sharing allows users to share VBS Plan drawings to other VBS4 users on the network. This allows different planning “cells” to draw plan layers and submit them to create collaborative drawings quickly.
- Microsoft Bing terrain data support. Providing customers have the appropriate Microsoft API key, VBS4’s Bing support allows customers to stream Bing data into VBS4.
New VWS dashboard
VBS4 22.1 also includes the new VWS (VBS World Server) dashboard. It has a web-based interface which allows administrators remotely to control and monitor the operation of the VWS. Administrators can monitor real-time system resources such as memory usage, network utilization and many other critical parameters. The administrator will be alerted to issues and can start and stop individual VWS services without having physical access to the VWS server.
About Bohemia Interactive Simulations
Founded in 2001, Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim) is a global software company at the forefront of simulation and training software development for defense and civilian organizations. Its engineers use the latest game based technology to develop high-fidelity, cost-effective training and simulation software products.
Thousands of military personnel around the world are trained using VBS software products. More than 60 NATO and NATO-friendly countries, and over 300 system integrators and prime contractors deploy VBS technology.
- Customers can download BISim latest desktop training software, VBS4 22.1, from the BISim Customer Portal.