This month Chaos Group released V-Ray 5 for Rhino, offering Rhino users powerful new features and real-time rendering for their creative workflows. These new features extend to Grasshopper as well.
V-Ray 5 for Rhino
V-Ray Vision is a live scene viewer that updates in real-time, allowing Rhino and Grasshopper users to build models, apply materials, and set up lights and cameras with immediate feedback. Encouraging fast, fluid design visualization throughout a project, V-Ray Vision helps users work through new ideas and client feedback from start to finish, with the ability to quickly snapshot images or output animation at any time.
Rhino 5 for V-Ray adds the new Light Gen tool, enabling 3D artists and visualizing professionals to review various lighting options that are generated automatically and displayed as a series of thumbnails. This makes it easier to find the best scene lighting.
The V-Ray Frame Buffer (VFB) now includes V-Ray 5’s most user-friendly features, giving artists an easy-to-use toolset for applying finishing touches.
Other new features in V-Ray 5 for Rhino include:
- Expanded Grasshopper Support — V-Ray for Grasshopper is included with V-Ray for Rhino for real-time visualization, photorealistic rendering and animation. Now for the first time, users can visualize their Grasshopper designs in real-time with the new Live Link component for V-Ray Vision.
- High-Resolution Material Library — The popular V-Ray material library has been expanded and upgraded with V-Ray 5’s new layering controls and texture randomization features. Texture resolutions have also been increased to 4K.
- New Sun and Sky — Improves accuracy across the board, including when the sun is near the horizon, right before sunrise and after sunset. New controls have also been added to allow users to easily customize the sun position.
- Coat Layer — Gain extra reflections on surfaces without using blend materials.
- Sheen Layer — Easily simulate fabrics like velvet, satin and silk.
- Dirt and Weathering — New controls for aging materials with procedural streaks have been added to the V-Ray Dirt Material.
Additional features include new Texture Randomization, Stochastic Texture Tiling, and Line Renderings. The last feature gives renderers an illustrative look by adding linework to global contour controls and material overrides.
To learn more about the new V-Ray 5 for Rhino, visit this webpage.
Pricing and Availability
V-Ray 5 for Rhino is available and compatible with Rhino 6-7. A perpetual license is priced at $790, with upgrades available for $395. Term licensing is available at $350 (annually) and $60 (monthly). V-Ray 5 for Rhino is also included in V-Ray Collection, an annual plan that gives users full access to 15 Chaos Group products and services for $699/year.