Several infrastructure projects in the United States have been awarded ‘finalists’ status for Bentley Systems’ Year in Infrastructure 2019 Awards program.
The annual awards program honors the extraordinary work of Bentley software users advancing infrastructure design, construction, and operations throughout the world. Twelve independent jury panels of distinguished industry experts selected the 54 finalists from 571 nominations submitted by more than 440 organizations in more than 60 countries.
US Based Finalists
There are six finalists in the annual infrastructure awards program that are US infrastructure projects. They are described below.
- 4D Construction Modeling | Mortenson | Clark, a Joint Venture —Chase Center & Warriors Mixed-Use Office and Retail Development – San Francisco, California, United StatesThe Chase Center is the new home of the U.S. National Basketball Association’s Golden State Warriors, which will open for the upcoming basketball season. The complex will host more than 200 events annually, including concerts and conventions, and also features two 11-story office buildings as part of five structures supported by a shared podium. The project team used Bentley’s SYNCHRO to create the 4D construction model to help evaluate construction sequencing and associated scopes of work for on-time delivery. Click here for the project image and caption: Mortensen used Bentley’s SYNCHRO to create the 4D construction model for the Chase Center, which is the new home of the U.S. basketball team, the Golden State Warriors.
- Geotechnical Engineering | Anil Verma Associates, Inc. —Regional Connector Transit Corridor (RCTC) – Los Angeles, California, United StatesThe Regional Connector Transit Corridor will bring together three existing rail lines with twin tunnels connecting three new underground stations being built in downtown Los Angeles. Anil Verma Associates is the lead architect for the design of the stations and plaza and assisted with civil engineering design. The project team used Bentley applications for accurate geotechnical assessments to coordinate with existing infrastructure, which enabled real-time resolution of settlement issues to expedite and optimize excavation. Click here for the project image and caption: Anil Verma Associates is the lead architect for the design of the stations and plaza for the Regional Connector Transit Corridor in Los Angeles.
- Power Generation | Sargent & Lundy —Modernization of Big Bend Power Station in Tampa Florida – Apollo Beach, Florida, United StatesTo provide clean, safe, reliable power to its customers, Tampa Electric is modernizing its Big Bend Power Station in Florida. Sargent & Lundy is responsible for detailed engineering, design, and onsite construction management and commissioning services. The team used Bentley applications to develop a digital twin that improved design accuracy and minimized onsite rework, saving estimated millions in construction costs. Real-time design reviews with improved visualization saved additional project costs. Click here for the project image and caption: Sargent & Lundy used Bentley applications to develop a digital twin of the Big Bend Power Station in Florida.
- Project Delivery | South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) —Seamless Information Sharing and Integration Across Multiple Platforms Using ProjectWise – Columbia, South Carolina, United StatesThe South Carolina Department of Transportation currently manages more than 6,000 projects and 1,800 contracts through all phases of the project lifecycle. The agency needed to integrate disparate data and document applications so that it could support and manage common business processes, data, and document sharing. Bentley’s ProjectWise is used for managing all sources of information, serving as a reliable and secure hub for information sharing and integration, achieving workflow efficiencies, increasing productivity, improving accuracy, and saving on technology costs. Click here for the project image and caption: The South Carolina Department of Transportation uses Bentley technology to efficiently manage business processes, data, and document sharing.
- Roads and Highways | Foth Infrastructure & Environment, LLC —Foth Transforms, Connects & Revitalizes Cedar Falls, Iowa Corridor – Cedar Falls, Iowa, United StatesTo improve roadway conditions and traffic flow, provide non-vehicular access, and support economic growth, Cedar Falls initiated a revitalization project for University Avenue, which is more than 60 years old and serves 20,000 vehicles daily. Foth won the contract for the modernization project and used Bentley applications to reduce design phase time by 50 percent, allowing construction to begin a full year ahead of schedule. Click here for the project image and caption: Foth is contracted for design and construction of the revitalization project for University Avenue in Cedar Falls, Iowa.
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants | Houston Waterworks Team (a Joint Venture of Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc. and CDM Constructors, Inc.) —Northeast Water Purification Plant Expansion – Houston, Texas, United StatesTo help reduce dependence on groundwater and increase the amount of fresh drinking water, the City of Houston initiated the Northeast Water Purification Plant expansion, which will add 320 million gallons per day by 2024. The joint venture team used Bentley software to assist with the design and construction of the expansion, meeting detailed BIM requirements including a federated model and production of more than 5,500 construction drawings. Click here for the project image and caption: Houston Waterworks Team is using Bentley software for the design and construction of the Northeast Water Purification Plant expansion in Houston, which will add 320 million gallons per day by 2024.
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony and gala on October 24 during Bentley’s Year in Infrastructure 2019 Conference, which will be held October 21 through 24 in Singapore at the Marina Bay Sands Expo and Convention Centre. The annual conference explores innovations in software technology enabling infrastructure project delivery and asset performance. The theme of this year’s conference is Advancing BIM through Digital Twins.