Autodesk continues to demonstrate its self-described love for Apple’s re-invigoriated Mac OS X platform with brand new 2014 versions of AutoCAD for Mac and AutoCAD LT for Mac. The new products feature new capabilities that are “customer driven” as well as new functions unique to the OS X platform environment and Apple’s Mac hardware innovations.
At the top of list of features that are unique to Apple’s OS X platform are full support for Apple’s Retina Display technology found on numerous new Macs. Apple’s Retina display technology provide industry-leading resolutions on laptop computers. Retina displays don’t sit behind a layer of glass, they are the glass. The result when combined with AutoCAD 2014 products is stunning never-seen-before clarity and sharpness of detail in a CAD application when running on a Mac with a Retina display. (see image 01)
[see, Architosh, “Notes on the Call: Autodesk AutoCAD 2014 for Mac – More Details,” 22 October 2013. This article includes more information and comparative screen shots on the Retina display technology and its impact on CAD.]
AutoCAD 2014 for Mac is one of the first major professional software applications to supports Apple’s new Retina display.
Another major new feature is the support for Autodesk 360 that bring the AutoCAD for Mac product line in sync with the rest of the AutoCAD products and Autodesk 360 tools and services. Users are able to sync their documents with their Autodesk 360 cloud accounts. The complete list of major new features are:
- Apple Retina Display Support — Retina display support throughout the user interface with crisper lines and text, easier-to-see tools, and a much higher level of detail even at high zoom levels.
- Drawing Sync — Directly access files from Autodesk 360 and synchronize them between your computer and the cloud
- Package Drawing — Similar to eTransmit in AutoCAD for Windows, Package Drawing allows users to quickly collect related files into a compressed folder for easy distribution or storage
- Online Help — new in version 2014 is a major change in how to find help and assistance
- Default Save — As — Previous Version — It’s now possible to set a default save-as version for your drawings
- Security Enhancements — AutoCAD 2014 for Mac enhances software security and helps prevent loading and running “unauthorized or malicious” AutoLISP applications
AutoCAD 2014 for Mac and AutoCAD LT 2014 for Mac are available immediately worldwide in English and French.
Customers can purchase both applications from the Autodesk Store, through CDW and Amazon, or from your local value-added reseller for Autodesk products. To learn more visit: www.autodesk.com
We certainly applaud the adoption of Retina display support which is being seen in many professional applications as time goes on. Autodesk 360 cloud sync is important but it is not yet clear if messaging with colleagues is supported yet and we won’t know until we can speak to Autodesk directly about parity of 360 features.
Something we mentioned in our last review of this product was better help and at the application startup window in particular. It looks like Autodesk listened to this feedback. And we are very interested to see what they have done online with assistance that is new.