The makers of formZ have announced the latest version of their conceptual, class-A NURBS modeler, bonzai 3D 3.0. bonzai 3d 3.0 is a major feature update with over 80 new features.
bonzai 3d 3.0 features 14 new tools that add functionality to NURBS modeling, shape editing, texture mapping, component management, fabrication and 3D printing. Existing tools have also been improved and tweaked to make them even more efficient and effective. Additionally there are new user-interface improvements and new elements like the Sun Position palette.
bonzai 3d 3.0 New Features
Here is a short description of some of the major new features. A complete list can be found on their website:
- The Turntable — this new tool will cause a scene to rotate continuously around an axis in real-time display modes. Controls allow the user to adjust speed of the animation. This is useful for presenting a 3D model
- The Billboard tool — this new tool generates special object types that are surfaces with an image (texture) mapped onto it. It takes it dimensions from the size of the image
- 3D Print Preparation — this tool is also new and aims to help users diagnose common problems found in printing in 3D with new 3D printers. The tool addresses issues with models prior to exporting out to 3D printer formats
- Section Tool — this tool has a new option for dynamically sectioning an object or series of objects. The dynamic operation allows the section plane to be adjusted as needed during the operation, while a direct section allows an arbitrary face or plane to be specified and executed immediately
- Contour Doctor — this is a new tool which works with the Terrain Tool to check and fix contours in terrain models and report the issues and fix them if it can
- The Unfold tool — this new tool takes surface or solid objects and unfolds them in order to prepare flat shapes for cut-out fabrication assembly
System Requirements & Other Notes
bonzai 3d 3.0 requires 512 MB of memory but ideally runs at 1 GB or more. It runs on Windows and Mac OS X (10.5.8 or higher). An internet connection is required only for registration. To learn more visit them here. http://www.formz.com/products/bonzai3d.html